Sunday, January 9, 2011
The story about this quilt
this post. As we have accidentally erased all our photos on our computer (isn't that just a distaster?) I don't have any photos of this quilt during the WiP (Work in progress, someone asked me what WiP mean...). Which is to bad, because it would have been so much easier to explain the progress of this quilt as this was very much a journey of mixed feelings actually.
I bought a mixed stash of green and grey fabric from Fabricworm to start off with. They were all of very modern prints and as my brother's home is a mix with lots of modern black, grey, white and he loves green I thought this would fit perfect. But. When I did start to put together my cut out pieces it looked really... dead! Yes dead. No life what so ever. So I decided to pimp it up with some of my pink and orange vintage flower prints. I wasn't sure at first and at several points I was ready to give up on the project as I just couldn't make it work for me.
I put it away for a couple of weeks to start on something new but as time ran out and the holidays came closer I brought it out again a week before Christmas and decided to finish my blocks. And boom. Suddenly it worked!
I added a last fabric piece of Tilda, small pink roses on black (my fave!). Slowly the quilt top grew and it absolutely worked. I called it My Smoking Dope Quilt (although I have never tried mariujana it is a common expression we use in our home as my husband is American...) as it is so corky with its mix of colours and prints from different eras. And that is the story. The story of Thomas & Linda's Quilt. Which is a more appropriate official name I think.
- I used the Beach Hut pattern from Jane Brocket's book The Gentle Art of Quilt making.
- Every block is made out of 4 2,5x8,5 inch (6x21.5 cm) strips. Every finished square measured 8x8 inches (20x20 cm).
- Finished quilt measures 48x64 inches (120x160 cm)
- I used a total of 12 fat quarters, 1/2 yard binding fabric, a vintage sheet for backing and white fleece as wadding.
- Quilting: stitched in the ditch diagonal and horizontal between all 8 inch/20 cm squares to make a square pattern.
All for now. All the best to you all and thank you for all your nice comments. It really makes me happy to hear from you. I'll write soon again to show you my new projects... I am excited!